Review: I'll Tell You Mine by Pip Harry


I'll Tell You MineI'll Tell You Mine by Pip Harry
Release Date: March 28 2012
Publisher: U Q P
Format: Paperback
Pages: 264
Genre: YA/Contemporary
Source: Author

Goodreads Synopsis:
Kate Elliot isn't trying to fit in – that's the whole point of being a goth, isn't it?

Everything about her – from her hair to her clothes – screams different and the girls at her school give her a wide berth. How can Kate be herself, really herself, when she's hiding her big secret? The one that landed her in boarding school in the first place. She's buried it down deep but it always seems to surface. 

But then sometimes your soul mates sneak up on you in the most unlikely of places. Like Norris Grammar Boarding School for Girls, where's she's serving a life sentence, no parole, because her parents kicked her out.

So, how do you take that first step and reveal your secrets when you're not sure that people want to see the real you?



My Thoughts:
I'll Tell You Mine is a great coming of age story.Kate Elliot doesn't feel like she belongs anywhere. She wants to be anything but normal. So she has radically changed her behaviour and her appearance. But hiding behind a new appearance doesn't change the hurt inside.

This is a great story of teenage angst. Kate has been so caught up in being anything other than normal that she has lost herself in the process. Kate's biggest problem is trying to relate to her mother. She never seems to have time for her anymore but she is a constant nagging force in Kate's world. Kate truly feels like everyone is against her. 

After a dramatic incident with her mother, Kate is sent to live full time at her local boarding school. She hates going to school as it is but having to live there? Kate befriends a most unlikely girl. These two couldn't be more opposite. But it turns out that they have more in common than they think. Kate is always finding "love" in all the wrong places. But when she meets Laughlin, they have a real connection. 

I really enjoyed this book. Pip does a wonderful job of connecting you to Kate. Heck I felt like I was 16 again while I was reading this. I couldn't keep my eyes off the pages. I enjoyed every minute of Kate's adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reading my book Kristen. I also felt like a 16-year-old while writing it! X

    ReplyDelete