Review: Black City by Elizabeth Richards



Black City (Black City, #1)Black City by Elizabeth Richards
Release Date: November 13 2012
Publisher: G.P Putnam's Sons BYR
Format: Hardcover
Pages:374
Series: Black City (#1)
Genre: YA/Dystopian
Source: Purchased


Goodreads Synopsis:A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war.
In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable—they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash’s long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they’re caught, they’ll be executed—but their feelings are too strong.
When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.



My Thoughts:

I enjoyed Black City. It was an easy read with a compelling storlyine. I enjoyed the blood mate concept. I think that added a special twist. Ash and Natalies relationship was sweet but at times a little bit unbelievable for me. I think the attraction happened too quickly. One moment they hated each other and then the next they were deeply in love. There was very little interaction or build up.

I loved the plot and storyline. It is a strangely unique concept with a lot of great elements . I really enjoyed the segregation of the Darklings and also the political uprising. That kept the book suspensful and interesting. 

Near the end of Dark City, Ash and Natalies' love grew on me. And at the very end the emotion did finally come across. 

I really liked the book but I wasn't jumping up and down for joy but I liked it enough to want to read the next book.

1 comment:

  1. I really love the cover of this one. All the red and white pieces just really work. Anyhow, it sounds like a pretty good read. The idea of darklings sound interesting, but that's too bad about the relationship not being all that believable. I hate when that happens. Anyhow, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete