Review: What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles, #1)
Release Date: September 18 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover
Pages:343
Genre: YA/Dystopian
Source: Purchased

Goodreads Synopsis:
I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything


My Thoughts:

The concept for What's Left of Me is extremely interesting. It took me a couple of chapter's to get used to the writing style. At some points I didn't know if it was Eva or Addie talking but once I found the rythm the book became enjoyable. Like I said I really liked the concept and I think that is why I finished reading the book, I wanted to see where she was going to go with the story. The character's where good and considering the plot of the story they were relatable enough.I wasn't head over heels in love with the book. The writing style at the beginning really threw me off but it was the plot that kept me going.

I liked the idea of two souls living within one body, desperatly trying to figure out a way to coexist  without being suspicious. This book is they type that made me think. What would if be like to share my mind with another person? What would it be liked to be stuffed into the background and watch the world go on through someone else's eyes and not having the ability to actively participate?

The Hybrids are supposed to be dangerous people. Insane beyond all measure because how can someone not go insane having two souls fighting within one body?
Eva and Addie find out that they have been lied to their entire lives. Everything that they've been made to belive just isn't true. There is a bit of romance that slowly blooms between Eva and Ryan. I am looking forward to seeing how they will make that work

I am excited to see where Kat takes this interesting story.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I can't wait to read this one. The synopsis sounds very interesting and I've heard great things about it!

    ReplyDelete